ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH with RISOTTO-STYLE FARRO
Executive Chef David DiGregorio, Osteria Via Stato
To make this recipe, first prepare Farro & Roasted Butternut Squash
8 oz. Cooked Farro (recipe follows)
8 oz. Roasted Butternut Squash, Diced (recipe follows)
12 oz. Chicken Stock
Kosher Salt, as needed
2 Tbsp Shallots, Sliced
1 Tbsp Sage, Finely Chopped
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, a drizzle
2 Halves of Butternut Squash (Bottom Half), Cooked
- Reheat roasted butternut squash** bottoms: Place roasted butternut squash bottoms on sheet pan with a little butter in preheated 350 degree oven.
- In sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add sliced shallots and chopped sage. Cook until lightly browned.
- Add farro to sauté pan and combine with oil, shallots and sage—evenly coating. Add chicken stock and stir (with wooden spoon) until almost all absorbed.
- Add roasted diced squash. Finish with butter, salt and pepper.
- On serving plate, place a squash bottom in center of the plate. Fill with risotto-style farro** with some farro spilling onto plate. Garnish with a fried sage leaf and a drizzle of olive oil.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
1 Small Butternut Squash, Split Lengthwise, Seeds Removed
2 oz. Unsalted Butter
3 Fresh Sage Leaves
½ Tbsp Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper, as needed
1 Tsp Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off neck of squash and peel & dice it into ¼ inch pieces.
- In medium pan, melt butter until lightly browned. Add sage leaves. Remove pan from heat. Reserve sage-butter in separate dish. Set aside later.
- Place squash in medium-sized baking dish. Season squash cups (the bottoms), evenly with ½ of the salt (reserve remaining salt to use later), pepper and sugar
- Pour half of reserved butter; evenly over squash cups (reserve other half of butter). Toss sage leaves onto squash cups. Roast in preheated oven.
- After 10 minutes, baste squash with pan-drippings. Continue to roast for 20-35 more minutes or until fork tender and nicely browned.
- While squash bottoms are roasting, season diced squash with remaining reserved butter, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Place on sheet pan.
- Put sheet pan into oven with squash bottoms. Roast diced squash on sheet pan until tender and browned—approximately 10-15 minutes. Let cool—basting with butter.
6 oz. Farro
2 oz. Onions, Finely Diced
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Quart Chicken Stock, Heated to a Simmer
½ Tsp Salt
- Sweat the onions and the butter together slowly—but do not brown.
- Add the farro, making sure farro is evenly coated with butter and onions. Season with salt.
- Slowly add stock—in stages (about 3 stages) or until farro is cooked completely—making sure to stir constantly.
- Remove farro from heat and spread onto a sheet pan to cool.